Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Saladin

I never heard of Saladin in my life before now, but I have to say I'm really glad that I know who he is now. He sounded kind of ruthless in the wikipedia article, with the decapitations and all, but other than that he seemed like a very interesting guy. I really like the way he was portrayed in Decameron and I thought it was really cool that he was so nice to Messer Torello after all that time. I really liked the story as well, at first I just wanted to get it read but once it took off I found myself enjoying the reading. I read the lawyers tale my senior year in highschool and I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the Miller's tale.

Over all I enjoyed reading most about Saladin in Decameron, and I am happy to have read this story. I really liked how Torello made his presence known to his wife Madonna, that was pretty slick. I have to say though, that my favorite part of the story was this, ""Oh," quoth the abbot, "thou art no longer a child, nor yet so new to this church, that thou shouldst so lightly be appalled: go we now, and see who it is that has given thee this childish fright."So, with a blaze of torches, the abbot, attended by his monks, entered the church," ... ", the efficacy of the potion being exhausted, Messer Torello awoke and heaved a great sigh. Whereat the monks and the abbot quaking and crying out: "Lord, help us!" one and all took to flight."

No comments: