Tuesday, September 18, 2007

1001 Nights

*
I chose Tale of the Bull and the Ass, and The Fisherman and the Jinni for the stories we needed to read for Wednesdays class. The first story was pretty entertaining, and focused on a man who could understand the language that animals spoke. This story is being told by the Wazir and is basically a long and drawn out way of saying to his daughter, he will beat her if she keeps talking nonsense. The second story I read was about a fisherman who finds a lamp containing a Jinni, and I thought it was very interesting that instead of offering three wishes to this man he offers the man a choice in how the jinni will kill him. In the end the Fisherman outwits the jinni and traps him in his lamp. One very funny line from the story is what the jinni says after the fisherman has tricked him was, “I did but jest with thee.”

Over all I really enjoyed the reading, and I like how the story flows from one to another while the larger main story stays intact.

*(Robin Williams definitely had nothing to do with the genie in this story.)



1 comment:

Brian said...

That's funny how he gives him a choice of how he'll kill him, instead of three wishes.