Monday, September 17, 2007

Othello

I must say that Othello isn't my favorite play, but I do admire it none the less. I first heard of Othello a few years ago when I watched the movie "O", a modern remake of the play. On the DVD version of this movie was the original play in black and white, which I thought was very interesting and worth watching. In case anyones interested here is a link to imdb.com on the movie. "O"
I don't think I've ever been more disturbed by a play in my life.

I'm really glad that I read the article though, it shed alot of light on the context of the play and I think I would hate Othello if I hadn't of read it. I didn't know much about the time period that Othello was written in, but now that I do, I understand much more about the play's story and the characters within it. For instance, I was pretty confused about where exactly Othello had come from and why he was in Cyprus, I had assumed that I had misunderstood the part of the play that explains that but thanks to the article I know that the play never really reveals this information. I really liked that the article explained Othello's reasoning when he gave his speech after murdering Desdemona, this was actually my favorite part.

No comments: