Sunday, October 21, 2007

Palestine Peace Not Apartheid


Over all I would say that this was another good read, the book was very informative and interesting. Reading it was very frustrating though. It seemed as though every time Palestinian leaders were ready to negotiate Israeli leaders didn't and visa versa. I found myself being surprised page after page as I learned about the history of the conflict in the holy land, and along with this surprise came anger.

I can't believe how these horrible things have happened and yet still the conflict has not been resolved. After all the reading I'd have to say that my sympathy goes to the Palestinians for how much they've had to put up with over all these long years. Its like Israel is a spoiled child, allowed to do horrible things and still get away with it. For instance the attack on Lebanon in retaliation for the Hezbollah kidnappings and killings. Worst of all the U.S. helped Isreal to attack a country that did nothing, ending in nearly 800 dead Lebanese civilians and 1/4 it's population misplaced. Another example is the so-called "Security Wall" that traps Palestinians inside of their own territory, preventing them from going to church in some cases.

But I can't say that Israel is completely to blame for the current situation. It is obvious that the violent acts of the PLO in the past have lead the Palestinian people nowhere. I can't help but think of Wild Thorns.

3 comments:

lindasthoughts said...

It is pretty scarey to think of all the horrible things the Israelis are doing to the Arabs, but what's even more amazing is they fled Nazi's for doing the same thing to them. You would think they would learn from what they went through.

Dray's Blog said...

I like your analagy about the "spoiled children". I had not thought of palastine that way but it makes perfect sence.

Sara said...

It really pisses me off to see that the US is backing people that are really hurting the people we should really be helping. We did that with Iran too....and look how that turned out!