Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Maryam and House of Imran


The first thing I noticed about these readings was that they were very similar to the bible. I had no idea how closely the Koran and the Bible resemble each other. I liked reading the Maryam readings but the House of Imran readings seemed a bit repetitive with the whole praise Allah or your soul will be damned repeated in almost every line. Other than that it was an interesting read.

The differences between the three different translations were quite surprising at times. I read the translations of Yusufali and every once in a while I would read Pickthal's translations. There were some translations between the three that were so different I wonder where they came from. For instance in the Maryam reading, the son of Zakariya was named Yahya in the Yusufali and Shakir translations but in the Pickthal it was John! How did that happen? I just thought that was funny.

"But how many (countless) generations before them have We destroyed? Canst thou find a single one of them (now) or hear (so much as) a whisper of them?"
(This was my favorite line)