Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Norma and the Snowman, Land of Sad Oranges


I read the smaller story from the two printed out for us, and I think my copy was missing pages because it felt like the story ended way too soon. Not only that my copy was only one page. I liked the other story Norma and the Snowman though. From what I could tell the story must have taken place sometime in the seventies or maybe early eighties due to the reference on Bruce Lee. I thought it was a nice story but I was a bit confused at times because the story would jump time in one paragraph. But the love story was pretty cool, how Said would come down from the mountain just to see Norma about once a month. I also read "Land Of The Sad Oranges" from Men In The Sun, which was kind of disturbing. It was narrated by a boy who's village is taken by what I assume was the Israeli army and leaves with another family (I think his cousins?). They flee to another town and then settle in a house near that town. The entire time this child who is narrating is talking about the father of the other family and basically how crazy he is. At one point the father nearly kills all the children. The name refers to the orange trees that the father once owned before they were misplaced and how oranges reminded them of what they had lost. It was a good story and very interesting to read.

5 comments:

Dbrim said...

Your snowman reminds me of the weather outside.

Unknown said...

I felt the same way about maybe being given the wrong copy or something after reading the story.....Kind of like it ended to soon?

lindasthoughts said...

I agree the second story seems to be missing the ending.

Sara said...

I was almost a little confused about the Oranges story, but I think your blog kinda cleared it up for me. And yes, your snowman reminds me of what is coming with this cold weather!

Brian said...

Yeah it was definitely kind of disturbing. Especially near the end.