Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Day The Leader Was Killed


So I read "The Day The Leader Was Killed" by Naguib Mahfouz and overall I'd have to say I enjoyed it. The story is focused on three characters, Muhtashimi Zayed, Elwan Fawwaz Muhtashimi, and Randa Sulayman Mubarak. The book is set in 1981 and is about the Elwan and Randa's love and how it suffers due to the social atmosphere they live in. Muhtashimi is Elwan's grandfather and throughout the book he gives Elwan advice about his situation. The book flows well between the characters and is very interesting as the story progresses, until the end. As I've said before for many of the other books we've read in class, the ending is depressing. I don't want to spoil the book for those who haven't read it and are going to, but all I will say is enjoy the happy moments of the book while they last, even though there aren't many.

I would definitely recommend the book to anyone who's interested, so if anyone wants to borrow it just ask me. It's a short read totaling in about 103 pages, I read it in one night, so its perfect for those who don't have too much time on their hands.

No comments: